Sunday, July 14, 2013

Where is the Jeep Wrangler Hemi V8?

About a year ago I went on a search for a Jeep Grand Cherokee. I've always been a fan of the Jeep logo and was in love with the reinvented advertising campaign, "The Things We Make, Make Us." That was the type of philosophy I truly believed in, but that's a post for a different day.


Truth is, I don't want to own a Grand Cherokee. Don't get me wrong, they are excellent and capable SUVs. It's just a little too soft for the Jeep brand. This model has decided it is the American Range Rover and must be gentle enough to accommodate those who buy such a machine. So basically, in order to appeal to soccer moms we have to ensure it's comfortable and easy to drive. Those are the type of attributes I expect to appeal to the previous mini-van and now SUV (or CUV) crowd. I'm not that customer. 

When I drive a Jeep I want an ATV - All Terrain Vehicle. I'm looking for a package that handles snow, rain, mud, rock, and everything in between. That's what the logo intends to portray. Just look back to those awesome "The Things We Make" commercials and you will see a vehicle easily moving across terrain that any minivan would best avoid. That's a Jeep. Not this soft and comfortable thing that I welcomed into my driveway. 

To further make my point, just try and find after-market accessories designed to enhance the off road abilities of the Grand Cherokee. Some simple and mostly cosmetic components are available but nothing like those awesome bumpers, light bars, and wenches designed for Wrangler. 

So what do I want? How about a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon. I'm not talking that long wheelbase four door that suggests it's capable. The two door version with a remarkable turning circle only made possible with a short wheelbase. This type of vehicle is not only purpose made for what I love - an extremely capable off-road machine, but not of interest to those who haul children to soccer practice. No rear child entertainment package available.

Why haven't I just made the leap to such a capable off-roader? Well, that same off-road machine has got one of the most anemic motors Chrysler can offer it, a 285 hp V6. I do realize things have gotten 83 hp better with the latest Pentastar V6, but come on. Why can't Chrysler see the advantage of putting at least a small 360 hp Hemi 5.7-Litre V8 in the Wrangler? I just don't get V6 engines. They don't sound good and they don't inspire in this form. Why even offer that stupid motor. It's the same power plant they put in the Dodge Grand Caravan making the Wrangler sound and lag like the common boxy tool seen idling just outside a school at 3 pm. Wranglers are for enthusiasts. Grand Caravans are for Mom. Get it Chrysler?

I'm a capitalist and understand that bushinesses don't build products that consumers don't buy. This is how Chrysler should think, "What is it that Jeep Wrangler fans want and how can we include these features on the build sheet?"  One place to look to find what the fans demand would be after-market vendors. Just look at AEV. They offer an incredibly popular 5.7 V8 conversion kit. It's the perfect complenent to the Wrangler and availble for a whoping $5,600, no engine or transmission included. So that's the AEV kit investment plus $20k for a V8 motor and another $3k for the transmission. Include the Jeep itself and your looking at $70k for an off-road vehicle that should have been available at the factory for half the price. That's a ton of cash for something I should be able to buy on the showroom floor.

Enough said, I purchased a Grand Cherokee. Now I have an off road vehicle with that Jeep name, some good all-terrain capability, and the proper V8. It's not the Wrangler I dream of, but its something. It does have a different benefit; my wife likes it. She tells me it's comfortable with a nice ride and plenty of space. Pish. I want a Wrangler.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2013 - Car Notez